Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Date: September 11th

Today is an interesting day - Patriots' Day...It is sort of like Fourth of July - one thinks of freedom, the sacrifices our armed services make for us, etc. and so I want to say "Happy Patriots' Day!" [Which I already did on Facebook, which made me think of this] but it kinda isn't like Fourth of July because so many innocent people died, of no fault of their own [which probably applies to Fourth of July too but Ionly have so much tolerance for square parentheticals and footnoting].  Not that I think that the armed services men and women who die during their service die of a fault of their own, but they do, I would think, acknowledge that serious potential when they choose that line of work.  Does that make it different?  I don't know.  This is a terribly sad day that makes me cry every year when I think about that day so long ago - everyone focuses on "where were you?"  I dressed my kids in patriotic gear - I told them, "It's Patriots' Day!" excitedly while thinking at the same time, is this something to be excited about?  How will I explain to them in a few years what Patriots' Day is?  Why it is important?  Why do I have to think about explaining it to them? 

At the same time, a sweet boy that I have had the joy to know for 3 years today celebrates his birthday!  I remember where I was when that very important event happened too!  I hate that his birthday is also associated with such a sad event. 

I hope you all hug your family today, consider the sacrifices that have been made and are being made to try to keep this country free and prevent anything like this from ever happening here again.  But don't forget all the people who live with this type of terror and loss so much more frequently than we do in other parts of the country. 

Most of all - celebrate life!  I celebrate little Christian's birthday - consider the joy that is in this world because of that little boy's smile, his hugs, his love of Mater, and his friendship with my kids. 

I am not sure all things happen for a reason ~ but I do know that this world will never be the same because of at least two events that happened on this day in the past 12 years and I will always remember both. 

I will never forget that day in 2001 - the death and the sacrifice - and I will never forget that day in 2009 - the life and joy of a new baby boy destined to be raised in Christ and bless this world.

So, Happy Patriots' Day and Happy Birthday Christian!



No comments:

Post a Comment