For those of you who might not know, Delta or the triangle is the symbol for change in physics and chemistry. I am trying hard to keep with my "D" theme here - so, give me some credit.
This blog entry is about change - of course when you have toddlers, change is something that happens on a daily basis and maybe because it happens so much, you begin to expect and not notice it so much. This week is a big week for the Lackeys. Our fantastic nanny, Kristen, is moving on to greener pastures (i.e., her own family and all the kids at our church) so we are changing our daycare situation. We are kicking the pacis up to Wisconsin (cousin Violet needs pacis, you know). We have found a place near our house with new facilities and a seemingly good curriculum. But, you know, what do I know about day cares or day care curriculum? So, here's hoping.
I have been in denial about this for months. Kristen gave us 3-4 months advance notice and we dutifully quickly found replacement care and have been lining those ducks up for weeks. But, it was all so technical and administrative. I have kept my heart out of it. Until this week. We went to visit for a half hour today, they will go for a few hours on their own the next few days and then start full time on Monday.
I don't want to say anything on here that will offend anyone. So, sorry if I do. I don't feel great about daycare. I prefer the 3:1 student:teacher ratio we have as opposed to the 8:1 ratio at the daycare. Yes, I have super smart kids (test 'em, then you'll believe me!) and yes, they are well-adjusted but...I don't know. It makes my stomach tie up in knots. Now, those of you with some history with me may recall that my initial plan was to take them to daycare all along. Thanks to some providential events, that didn't happen. And you know what, I am glad it didn't happen. Now - to the point of this blog entry - I didn't call it Doubts or Discouraged (which may or may not be how I feel right now), I called it "Change" because the point of this blog is to give some gratitude to the center of this story: Kristen, and I didn't want to be negative. :)
Kristen gets a lot of praise from a lot of people. Deservedly. However, none of you (that read this anyway) have had her raise your children from three months to 27 months. I think that gives me a unique perspective when it comes to praising her. Can I honestly say that any of the fantastic, amazing, wonderful, sweet, well-behaved, smart things that people always attribute to my children are from me? They spend over 8 hrs a day, 5 days a week with Kristen - do the math. She is consistently loving, firm, thoughtful, instructive with my children. She has taught them how to nap, how to play, how to count, how to sing, how to say the ABCs, their colors, numbers, letters, animals, (running out of things here but I know there is a lot more). She took them on trips, to story time, to the park, to the playground, to the splash pad, to the store, to Hobby Lobby, to the Zoo - all the time teaching them all about the world. She lovingly hugs them every time they come in to my house - the kids ask about her after being up for about 20 minutes and can't wait until they (Josie too) get there. Oh yeah, did I mention that she was also raising her own daughter while doing all this? Let's not forget how she taught them about God through all this - so huge I don't even know how to talk about that.
Kristen has never called in sick, never been late. Amazing. Okay, so she didn't want to drive to my house durign the Snowmeggdon of 2010 but I will give her that one.
All this to say - thank you. Thank you Kristen for all that you have done for our family - you have blessed Kerry and I, my family, my friends, and the world with the values and the love that you have helped instill in my children.
We will never,ever, ever forget all that you have done for us - Nathan and Natalie will never forget spending the first two, maybe the most important, years of their life with you as their guide.
We love you and will miss you more than you will ever know.
Love it. Thanks so much for writing these words!
ReplyDelete