Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Devilish Details


I've been thinking about this post for a while and it keeps changing in my head - particularly as I delay in writing it. For example, I started out wanting to write about Christmas. Nope. Then New Years. Nope. So now, all I've got is a random February 1 post. You're welcome.  Anyway, let's move on, shall we?

As I struggle with my resolutions, I have been thinking a lot about "details" and my complete inability to manage them. I didn't do well in organic chemistry or physics, which, after years of separation from that trauma, I can now partially attribute those failures to my inability to manage and/or care so much about details.  (other half - meh, I was 19). I tried for years to lose weight but balked (still do) under the requirement of Weight Watchers to account for everything you eat. Turns out, also important.   Also, Kerry and I are reading the Bible in 90 days (with our church - okay, so we are listening to it, same thing). And as I struggle to pay attention to Leviticus and Numbers, I am constantly wondering -- why all the details?  Why all the offerings and weights and rules?  And then, why are those the ones in the bible?  What about the other ones? Where there any others?  What am I supposed to get out of it?  What is a sanctuary shekel and where do I get one?

So, long story short, this is my resolutions post.  Just work out more, eat less! Uh no.  Turns out I find a rather large amount of comfort in the structures of the details.  So, this year - its about the details. I plan to focus on them, think about them, work on them, be in them.  So, I am only resolving to complete discreet, highly detailed goals. Run 500 miles this year. Read/listen to the entire Bible in 90 days (plus/minus). Eat less than 26 points a day - I desperately want to say "for the whole year".  But again, just for the month!  I can worry about March on March 1st.    Since I can't get out of bed to work out?  Going to reward myself with something very detailed if I can get up early every day during the month of February (if one wants to do a month-long challenge, why not the shortest month of the year!  Details, people!). Similarly, turns out I have to have the threat of massive cash payouts to keep myself off Facebook during working hours - so, same challenge as previously ($20 if you catch me) but this time for the whole month. If I am at my desk, no Facebook in February. Has a nice ring to it.  I was told at work that I need to write better. Rather ambiguous and "everyone gets that critique," but this year - focusing on that to try to get better.  So rather than just "think about it", I am going to affirmatively work on my writing - say, by posting more blogs!  No, you're welcome!  I am going to read a book this month about persuasive, maybe even legal, writing; talk to two partners I work for about my style and what I can do to improve it, and maybe even write a law journal article (there are only 29 days in February, people...).

All this to say, recently  I feel like the more detailed my goal, the more detailed my plan, the more likely my success.   So there you go - my plan for 2012. Sorry to all of you who figured these things out in, say, kindergarten. I'm catching up!

I'll be back sooner than I was last time!  Happy New Year and Happy February!

No comments:

Post a Comment