Tuesday, March 1, 2011

(Un)Decidedness

I have thought about this topic a lot lately, not the least of which was the drafting of my organic post of this blog (re health insurance laws - remember that?  it was very controversial, so you really should...).

I have so many friends and family members who believe that they are "right" about a particular topic - whether it is religion or politics (well, really - they seem to be mostly these topics) or what kinds of food to eat or how to teach/not teach your baby to sleep.  Every time I start to think about these things to try to develop some kind of position, as many urge me to do, I fail tremendously.  My biggest problem is that I know and respect so many that are on both sides - so how do I discount one side or the other?

As I was driving home yesterday, listening to NPR (which I really like), it occurred to me that there should be an interesting sociology or pyschology or something-ology study on the concept that human beings tend to have one of two positions - that tend to be in direct opposition to each other. (Editor's note - if there is one out there, I would be interested in reading it).  Republican-democrat; yes-no; heaven-hell; christianity-not christianity; religious-not religious.  Why is that?  And an even more interesting phenomenon about this is how most subscribers to each side are CONVINCED they are right!  Even further, most can cite fairly impressive authority for their positions.  

As a lawyer, this hits home a lot - there is always an argument to be made for both sides.  Ever wonder why that is?  Rarely are things "I saw you hit her with the candlestick in the library" but more often, they are, "I eliminated those possibilities and those are the only cards that can be in the envelope...."  A more subjective approach and less reliable/supportable, I think. 

What about our biology or nature supports this inherent dynamic or quadmire or whathaveyou?  I find it very interesting.  Further, I find it very interesting that we have been such a successful (take that term for what you will) country with such varying opinions on everything.  Is our success based on the evaluation of both positions?  Is our success based on the fact that we give each position (oftentimes begrudgingly) opportunities to succeed? If you were to look at other countries, and their dynamic with respect to these issues - are they as divided as we are?  Can that division (or lack thereof) be somehow correlated to the country or society's success in the world - development, economic, citizen satisfaction?  

Finally, some questions - is there a right and wrong for every situation?  If not, why is that situation different from the ones which have a right and a wrong?  How do we continue, as a society, with those that seemingly do not have a right and wrong?  Some examples of this last one that jump out at me (from personal experience and from NPR) include federal health insurance, labor unions, pro-life/pro-choice, your choice (or non-choice) of church, taxes, paying down the deficit or economic stimulus packages...

Fascinating stuff.  Just thought I would share my contemplations on this point to see if anyone has anything they would like to add or discuss.  

Another point I would like to make is that this dilemma of mine makes it virtually impossible for me to form an opinion on most things, hence the title of this post - I am jaded that all books, news reports, etc. are slanted in one way or another.  Given that I barely have time to take a shower, i certainly have no time to decide which books to read, determine their inherent bias one way or the other, read the book, filter through the bias, and then make what would arguably be a more-informed decision.  Makes me tired just thinking about it... And, talking to people about it makes it no simpler because I still have to perform the same steps.

I think I might be becoming an adult.  Man...that's a bummer.

Have a great Tuesday!


No comments:

Post a Comment